Sunday, October 10, 2010

STARFISH

Hello Friends,

One of my favourite stories or analogies that never ceases to motivate me when times are tough is the following one.

" The was once an old man out taking a walk on the beach at sunset after a terrible storm had passed. As he walked he noticed thousands upon thousands of tiny starfish that had been washed up onto the beach as a result of the violent weather. He walked further feeling a little overwhelmed and sad with all the loss around him when he looked up and spotted a young girl. She was standing as close to the waters edge as possible and she was picking up one tiny starfish at a time and flinging it as far out as possible into the welcoming water. Time and time again she lifted a starfish and flung it to safety. The old man approached her and watched a little longer, she was so intent on her purpose she paused only to give him a quick smile. Taking the opportunity the old man said 'Don't you think you should just give up? There is no way you could save all of them, there are too many!'
The young girl looked into the old mans weather beaten face and said, 'I know I cannot save them all but to the ones I do save I am making the world of difference!'
The old man wandered away, every now and then stooping old bones to pick up a tiny starfish and fling it into the ocean."

I love this story.
I know it is told in several variations but this one is my favourite. I love the hopeful realism of the girl but mostly I love the innocent lesson taught to an old man who realised he too can make 'a world of difference' .

It is so easy to become overwhelmed by the magnitude of the worlds problems, making a difference becomes easier when you face the reality that even the smallest attempt will make a difference in the lives of those around you.

This story has been on my mind a lot this week. We have a lot on our collective plate at present and are facing some difficult choices. Choices that may mean scaling down and acknowledging that we can not save as many as we would like but we know that to date there are 760 children safer, healthier and more loved than they would have been had we not been standing on the waters edge.

We Love You All
Pippa

3 comments:

  1. We love this story too!!
    Whenever we hear it, we think of you! I think you told us it when we were on that epic minibus journey to Swaziland. :)

    Lots of love!!
    Heidi and Christian x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pippa, I have always loved this analogy... you shared it years ago and I always remember 'to the ones we save, it makes a world of difference!
    I thank God for your loving heart and amazing energy on behalf of all your children...You are always in our prayers! Is that photo you by any chance? The little cute one!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that story too Pippa, and i guess if everyone just helped one or two starfish back into the water, they'd all find their way home eventually. You've got alot of people picking up those starfish already, and i'm sure there are more to come. Thank you for sharing this, on a very early, cold morning it brought a smile to my face, big hugs xxxHannah Johnsonxxx

    ReplyDelete