Thursday, February 3, 2011

Selby and the Pumpkin Money!

How many times have you followed the nudging of the Holy Spirit and been really surprised when you have?


All the time there are opportunities around us to make a difference in someone elses life, in a small but meaningful way. Often these things are small choices, decisions that don't cost us much and because they are not great or grand we often overlook the impact they can have.

I just had one of these touching experiences and thought I would share it with you.

Today I went to the Pick n Pay, our local grocery store to buy the things we needed for supper. I had to take the bus as I was going to collect the children from school afterwards.


The route I took led me past a large tract of vacant land where for the last 2 or 3 seasons some industrious residents of the local community had set up several vegetable patches for growing their own food.
 (I went back later and took the pics below :-) )




 Today there were about 4 ramshackle stalls set up on the side of the road. Built out of scraps of wood and plastic, each stall was manned by a lady and each was selling the surplus from their crops.

I resolved that I would rather buy the pumpkins I needed from them on my way back rather than give my money to the big supermarket. So merrily I went about doing the other bits of shopping, packed it in the bus and then I made my way back with my R100 carefully tucked in my sleeve.

It was with great frustration that I noticed too late that there was no way I could pull the bus over onto the shoulder where the ladies were, as the recent rainfall had washed away the sand and left too big and sharp a drop to pull over safely.

I had no choice but to keep on driving. I was disappointed that I could not make one of the ladies happy but there was really nothing I could do so I drove on.

Soon a traffic light forced me to a stop and my attention was suddenly drawn to a little old man leaning on an old piece of stick and pleading for someone in the traffic to give him a lift. Generally I would not pick up a hitchhiker but something about the man made me feel like he was someone I could help. And he was so happy! As soon as I indicacted to him that he could come on the bus he grinned from ear to ear. He had eyes beginning to go milky with age but a bright bright smile.

He started praising God and thanking me over and over again and then without taking a breath he went on in rapid speech as follows:

"... my name is Selby and I am a father of 2 underage children. God blessed my wife and I late in our lives with children and then she died. I have pins in my foot after an operation and can not stand long enough to do any proper work. I am going now to beg so I can take some food home for the children." 

 The way he spoke, so clearly and succinctly touched me. I know how quickly people close their ears and harden their hearts when people in need try to tell their stories. Many find it easier to assume the person is lying or that somehow they deserve their circumstance.

Immediately my mind was taken to a piece of advice I read in a novel. A mother saying to her daughter "you can't solve everyones problems but you can choose to be the answer to someone's prayers everyday."

Isn't that lovely?

So I chose to give Selby the Pumpkin money.



Just as he was getting ready to get off the bus I slipped it from my sleeve and said "God Bless You".
It was a special moment. Milky eyes brightened by sudden tears and a shaking hand of thanks in lieu of words.


May you all be so blessed as to know what that's like.

I love you all
Pippa


No comments:

Post a Comment