Saturday, June 18, 2011

Saturday 18 June

Hello Friends

The last two days have been a little hectic. There are a whole lot of tiny chores that need to happen now that my little brood and I are seperate of the "mainhouse". Beds to make and wet beds to change, clothes to fold and "stuff" to organise. It takes a lot of time and energy and so last night I was just not up to writing, sorry.

Things with Tommy seem to be improving in small steps.

Yesterday he slept through my visit - he was asleep when I got there and had not woken by the time visiting hours were over. I could not bring myself to wake him since I am a firm believer in the healing effects of sleep, but he was furious! Every visitor since then has been silently but clearly and vehemently instructed to wake him during visiting hours, so today when I went he made me promise that I would not let him sleep through one again.

When Zoe visited him last night she found a nurse there speaking to him in Sotho. His registered name is Itumeleng and so she, and apparently many of the staff just assumed he could speak the language. He was so happy to see her and pleaded with her to "TELL THEM I SPEAK ENGLISH!".

These are good signs. He is feeling stronger in himself and I believe it won't be too long before he can hold his own oxygen and they can remove the tracheotomy and let him move to a general ward.

Anyone who knows about South Africa knows how much the country loves any excuse for a holiday so it shouldn't surprise you to know that although only Thursday was a holiday most people took Friday off too and so it is like a 4 day weekend. This means information is a bit scanty so I will be sure to update you when we get more information on his hands.

Today he was mostly concerned about the strange little tremors he seems to be having. His body twitches and shakes in small movements, uncontrollably even when he sleeps. He is also itchy all over and it worries him and so I have told him I believe it is just his body's way of managing the trauma - I hope it eases as time goes on.

I must say that his face has healed miraculously. Today there was barely a hint of the scabs and damaged skin that had been visible before. He was so much improved in fact that he even asked for headphones so that he could hear the television or radio now that his ears are cleared of the wounds.

We pray that God will show the same mercy to his hands and that they too will heal as remarkably.

Thank you for all your prayers
We love you all
Pippa

1 comment:

  1. Bless you, Pippa, Tommy and all of your other precious children.
    (:O)alex

    ReplyDelete